A cluttered home can cause a lot of stress, but it can also create a fire hazard – which is especially risky during the winter, when house fires are more common as homeowners try to stay warm. With this in mind, we want to share with you some fire safety tips to keep you and your family safe!
Winter Fire Safety Tips:
- Keep your furnace clean and tuned-up by professionals, such as the technicians that work for Tomasso Bros. Energy!
- Make sure you have Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home, one for each floor.
- Test smoke alarms and replace any old batteries. If you don’t have smoke alarms in your home, install them on each level of your home.
- Keep any space heaters away from combustible materials, keeping at least three feet of clearance in all directions around the heater. If you can, avoid using space heaters all together.
- Have fireplaces, wood stoves, chimneys and any other alternative heating sources checked and cleaned by an expert to ensure they are functioning and venting properly.
- Establish an escape plan and practice it frequently so everyone knows what to do and where to go during an emergency.
In addition to these tips, do your best to declutter your home. Clutter can block entrances, exits and pathways throughout the home making it difficult to get in or out during an emergency. Keep yourself and your family safe! Call Junkyard Dogs for your residential junk hauling needs.