While you’re “down in the trenches” cleaning out your basement or cellar, it’s important you keep an eye out for any potential safety issues. Especially if you’re rarely spending time in the basement, use the brief trips as opportunities to make it a safe place!
Here are some things to look out for while cleaning out your basement:
- Leaks and dampness can cause property damage, foundation damage, and the growth of mold.
- Store aerosol paints, paint thinners, and any other flammable chemicals in a locked container or cabinet, far from any heat source.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and test them regularly
- Avoid using extension cords or power strips for washers, dryers and other heavy-duty appliances.
- Clear clutter! Certain things in your basement, like an electrical panel, fuse box, oil tank, etc., need to be accessible. Be sure to clear a path to any equipment, and exits.
Most importantly, when you’re clearing out all the clutter in your basement, call on a professional for help! At Junkyard Dog we can assist in removing any and all residential junk from furniture to outdate appliances. If you’re looking to schedule a junk pickup, contact us today!